If you have teeth that are damaged beyond restoration or you have missing teeth, then you may want to consider getting dental implants in Waterloo. Dental implants are proven to be an effective way to replace missing teeth. However, it is important to note that there are a number of different factors that can influence the success of your dental implants.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are artificial teeth used to replace lost or damaged teeth. There are two main types of dental implants. The first type, endosteal implants, are surgically placed into the jawbone. Once the gum tissue has healed, a post is connected to the original implant and an artificial tooth is attached. The second type, subperiosteal implants, uses a metal frame that's fitted into the jawbone, which is fixed once the gums heal. Posts are then attached to the frame, in which artificial teeth are then mounted.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants can be an excellent option for patients who need teeth replaced or who have missing teeth for the following reasons:
• Dental implants can improve your appearance
• Dental implants can improve your speech
• Dental implants can make it easier to eat
• Dental implants can improve your self-esteem
• Dental implants can improve your overall oral health as they help preserve jaw bone. Where one has no teeth, they lose bone.
What are the factors that influence the success of dental implants?
Most studies have shown that the long-term success rate of dental implants is around 95 percent. Unfortunately, there are a few factors that can affect whether your dental implants will be successful. These factors include the following:
• General health concerns - Patients with osteoporosis, a compromised immune system, a history of radiation treatment or that are smokers may have issues with the effectiveness of dental implants.
• Local factors - These include bone quantity, bone quality and the initial stability of the implant when it was first placed. There may also be some bite-related concerns based on the amount of stress that you place on the implants. Patients that grind or clench their teeth could affect the long-term success of the implants.
• Maintenance issues - While dental implants can be highly effective, they do require maintenance. Dental implants need to be cleaned daily just like regular teeth or they will break down.
For more information about dental implants in Waterloo and whether they are a good fit for you, be sure to contact us at Waterloo Smiles Dentistry today.