It can be difficult to maintain your regular routines over the holidays. Parties, travelling out of town to visit family and a less structured schedule can make it challenging to care for your teeth the way you normally would. When you add holiday dinners, drinks and sweets to the mix, your teeth may suffer more than usual. Here are a few simple tips to keep up good oral hygiene this holiday season.
5 Ways to Maintain Good Oral Hygiene over the Holidays
1. Bring Chewing Gum: Having a pack of sugarless gum at your next holiday party will keep your smile healthy and your breath fresh. Chewing on a piece of sugarless gum will increase the amount of saliva production in your mouth which can help clean your teeth. It can also help reduce plaque buildup.
2. Use a Straw: Limit the amount of contact sugary drinks have with your teeth by using a straw. It will also prevent liquids from staining your teeth and leaving behind cavity-causing residue.
3. Eat Sweets with Your Meal: If you are planning to eat a few cookies from the sweets table or dig into the chocolates from your stockings, try having them with your meal. When you sit down to eat a large meal, the saliva production in your mouth increases. This saliva will neutralize acids that cause cavities and reduce the amount of sugar that sticks to your teeth.
4. Rinse with Water: Whether you are enjoying a clementine or are drinking more coffee to make it through the last of your holiday shopping, try to keep a bottle of water with you or use tap water to rinse your mouth. Swishing water in your mouth for 15-20 seconds will remove any acidic residue, reduce the chances of developing stains on your teeth and protect your tooth enamel.
5. Pack Your Toothbrush: Whether you are staying at your in-laws’ house hours away or are attending a work party for the evening, bringing your toothbrush along will help protect your teeth from cavities. Be sure to brush at least twice a day, no matter where you are. If you are attending an event where dinner is served, brush your teeth 30 minutes after eating.
If you experience any pain or discomfort over the holiday season, don’t let it ruin the festivities! Talk to your Waterloo dentist to get the proper care quickly so you can return to the celebrations.
At Waterloo Smileswe want to help our patients maintain good oral hygiene and overall health with education and preventative care. From useful tips to routine checkups and complex restorative and cosmetic dental procedures, we are a full-service dental clinic. Our team of dedicated professionals use the latest technology and treatments. Let us show you how to maintain a bright and beautiful smile with dental care you can rely on.
Call 519-888-6063 or click here schedule an appointment for a dental checkup or for more information on keeping your teeth healthy this holiday season.